Complaints Procedure

The Older People’s Commissioner for Wales is committed to making a difference to older people’s lives by placing older people and their needs at the heart of what we do. As part of that commitment we aim to:

  • Provide an accessible, simple and transparent process for looking into complaints about the service we give
  • Respond quickly to complaints; and 
  • Apologise and provide any appropriate redress if we have given poor service

We welcome your feedback, as it helps us to continually improve our service and ensure that problems do not repeat themselves, so, please tell us when a problem arises.

How do I complain?

If you are unhappy with:

  • our service
  • an investigation of an issue you have raised
  • a decision not to investigate an issue you have raised
  • the outcome of an investigation

you can use this complaints procedure. You can also use this complaints procedure to complain about other things. For example you might wish to complain about undue delay in responding to correspondence; or that you feel a member of staff has been rude or unhelpful; or that we have not done what we said we would. If possible you should give the member of staff that has caused you concern the opportunity to deal with your complaint in the first instance.

However, if you are not sure who to contact, or if you are not satisfied with the way your complaint has been dealt with by a member of staff, please contact the Complaints Manager as follows.

Telephone: 03442 640 670


Write to:

Complaints Manager
Older People's Commissioner for Wales
Cambrian Buildings,
Mount Stuart Square
CF10 5FL

Although you can discuss complaints with our staff, it would be better to make them in writing. You can write your complaints in Welsh or English.

When writing to us, please tell us your address and phone number; and if you have any communication needs such as large print or data CD, and we will do our best to meet them.

What happens to my complaint?

The Complaints Manager will deal with your complaint herself.

Once you have made a complaint to the Complaints Manager, she will send you an acknowledgement within 4 working days of receiving your letter or email. The Complaints Manager will give serious consideration to the issues you raise and will investigate as appropriate.  The investigation will start at the point that you are sent the acknowledgement.

If the complaint is about the Complaints Manager, or the Complaints Manager has been involved in the matter you are complaining about, a senior member of staff will investigate instead.

If the Complaints Manager decides that your complaint is valid, we will send you an apology in writing, along with details of any other steps we think are necessary in the circumstances, including what we will do to prevent the problem happening again. If the Complaints Manager decides that your complaint is not valid, we will write to you explaining why.

We aim to send a full reply to all complaints within 20 working days of the complaint arriving with us. If that is not possible, for example if the matters you raise require more detailed work, we will let you know.

Is there a time limit for complaining?

It can be difficult to look into matters which happened some time ago. In general, we would expect you to make any complaint about the service reasonably soon after you become aware of the problem and in any event within twelve months.

What if I am not satisfied with the response to my complaint?

You should write again to the Complaints Manager stating that you wish to appeal to the Commissioner. You should set out as clearly as possible why you are dissatisfied with the response which was made to your complaint.

The Complaints Manager will acknowledge your appeal within 4 working days of receiving it. The Commissioner will personally consider your appeal at that point and will aim to send you a full reply within 20 working days. Again, if this is not possible, we will let you know.

The Commissioner’s decision is final. We will acknowledge further correspondence from you but, unless this raises new issues that we consider significant, we will not send further substantive replies.

Can I appeal the Commissioner’s decision?

If you are not happy with the decision of the Commissioner, you may ask a member of her independent Audit and Risk Assurance Committee to review her decision.